On Tim Pears’ ‘The Horseman’

If you are the sort of horse person who notices when Poldark’s horse keeps changing colour, or that the horse Merlin set off on several hours ago (usually at a gallop) is miraculously still also trotting about in Camelot, then you’ll enjoy Tim Pears’ The Horseman. It proceeds at a steady pace, with lots of wonderfully wrought horse-centric details. The story is set in the early twentieth century and centres around a boy called Leo and his love of the horses around him. I say it is steady, but perhaps evocative and stately would be more appropriate. But don’t be fooled, there is drama too. ((I won’t spoil it.) Published by Bloomsbury.


Flynn on Ahmad

Bit of a change today, as I am currently writing a review of Diana Ahmad’s Success Depends on the Animals for H-Net. I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Diana’s book about emigrants and their animals on the overland trails in America from 1840 to 1869. What has perhaps fascinated me most are the strong parallels that can be drawn between the emigrants and their livestock and my own research into the soldier-horse relationship during The Great War. Diana describes how emigrants often knew very little about oxen, horses, or mules before undertaking their epic journey, but soon came to trust and respect the animals with whom they shared the dangers and privations of the overland trails. Like many soldiers of the First World War, they also realised the importance of always putting their animals’ needs first; often risking their own lives to save them from danger.

H-Net is:

‘..an international interdisciplinary organization of scholars and teachers dedicated to developing the enormous educational potential of the Internet and the World Wide Web. Our edited networks publish peer reviewed essays, multimedia materials, and discussions for colleagues and the interested public. The computing heart and main office of H-Net resides at the History DepartmentMichigan State University, but H-Net officers, editors and subscribers come from all over the globe.’



The Horse and the War – The Finished Product!

Hello! Just to let you all know how The Horse and the War is getting on. Well, as you can probably guess by the title, it’s finished! It took some time, but I am really pleased with it. Looking at the photographs you’ll probably wonder what all the fuss is about. It doesn’t look that different from before? Well, maybe that is the sign of a job well done. I’d say The Horse and the War is now fit for another hundred years of reading! Well chuffed!

Laura was my Camel – update!

Just a quick update on Laura was my Camel. Mission accomplished! Although not perfect, going it alone has really tested how much I have learned. A few head scratching moments and a lot of looking at other books for reference later and we have a book again. Or should I say ‘still’! Casing the book in (putting it back into its cover) proved very tricky. Largely because all the repairs had made the spine bulkier than it had originally been. So, annoyingly, I’ve ended up with some wrinkles in the end papers. Not to worry though – we’ll know for next time. Onwards and outwards…

Going Solo – Well Almost! Project ‘Laura was my Camel’.

The book deconstructed and ready for repair.

I started this project last week, and it’s the first book I have worked on unsupervised. Matt has given me a few pointers, but this time the work is my own entirely. Of course, I haven’t chosen a first edition of Bleak House for this momentous step, but the rather lovely (but obscure?) Laura was my Camel – price £2.50!!!

The scriptures cleaned up ready for repair. This might take some time!

Here are the signatures (book sections) with all the old glue and spine lining carefully removed. However, the original binding wasn’t great and has left big holes that will need to be repaired prior to taping and sewing. Not doing this will just mean there is nothing solid to sew through!

Repairing each page ready for resewing.

Japan paper and wheat paste repair to fold. I’m going to have to do this with most, if not all, of the pages. This could make the book more bulky, so a rethink might be needed about how to repair the cover to accommodate it…

Book Reviewing

Today is a big day in the progress of Flynn post-PhD, a.k.a. ‘the wilderness months’. Today I have received a book for me to review for H-Animal, and I have to confess that I am really looking forward to reading it. Diana Ahmed’s Success Depends on the Animals: Emigrants, Livestock, and Wild Animals on the Overland Trails, 1840-1869. More to follow…